Wednesday, June 7

In an instant....,

It all happened so fast. In an instant. I was driving and my girls were sleeping in the back seat - I was driving. It was a clear day - stressful because Rachel had developed a UTI and had been hurting most of the day. But finally, on the way back from the Doctor's office, she had fallen asleep. Alex, too, was sleeping. I decided not to wake them - just to let them sleep as a drove around town a bit. I turned off HWY 67 on to Archie Moore Road in Ramona. I looked off to my left and saw an interesting housing development and decided to turn left, into the development to check it out. I looked ahead for traffic and then back to the left - I tried to look beyond the initial gate structure, which was open to see if there was another gate beyond that but couldn't see anything so I began my turn.....

BBBBAAAAMMMM

A silver car - a volkswagon GTI - was there. ON my left front fender! Bouncing off again. In an instant.

My girls, strapped safely into their car seats, began to cry. They were terrified - but without a scratch. THANK YOU GOD! THANK YOU GOD! THANK YOU GOD! THANK YOU GOD! THANK YOU GOD! THANK YOU GOD! THANK YOU GOD! THANK YOU GOD! THANK YOU GOD! THANK YOU GOD! THANK YOU GOD! THANK YOU GOD! THANK YOU GOD! THANK YOU GOD! THANK YOU GOD!

I got out to check on the other driver. She was also pretty shaken up - but otherwise seemed OK. She was also seemed VERY pleasant. She offered to help me with my girls once she realized that I had kids in my car.

When I think of what could have happened my stomach flips and I feel literally SICK.

"Hello, Mr. Hart? We're calling to let you know that there has been an accident...."

"Hello, Mr. Navarro? We're calling to let you know that Maria has been in an accident....,"

In an instant....,

And the instant has passed and logistics and after affects must be considered and dealt with.

$1000 deductable dollars and a few headaches later and our car will be fixed. $400 more a year in insurance & that's about it as for our family's repricusions. That a new realization about my responsibilities to my kids and my husband as the driver of our children.

But what about Maria? What about her family? She was driving a 1992 Volkswagon GTI. It looked like it was in pretty good shape - will she get enough money to replace the car? I'm assuming that she was working for one of the wealthy area families as nanny or house keeper - will she be able to keep her job? She lives all the way down in Tacate, Mexico!! That's over an hour's drive with out traffic!!

This accident was my fault - so I'm responsible for her loss. I should help make this right somehow....., Somehow.

No comments: