Sunday, March 25

Give, Participate = Receive, Thrive

“Often we set out to make a difference in the lives of others only to discover we have made a difference in our own.”
—Ellie Braun-Haley

Working with the International Rescue Committee is the best gift I've ever given, surprisingly, to me. There is something about working with these wonderful people from all over the world that has given me a fresh perspective on what's important and an appreciation for all that we have.

I've learned so much and I've grown attached to many of the refugees. The most amazing thing I've learned is how similar we all are, no matter how rich, how young, how old, or how poor. One day last month we had all the women in our class write down their dreams for themselves and their families. Each dream consisted of themes that would be familiar to all of us -- success, a college education and happiness for their children, a good job, a nice home, and 'a world without war.'

Working with them and watching our children play and learn from one another, I think we're all working toward our dreams together.

So. Think about it.

Join us - Make a difference.

Or, if not the International Rescue Committee, find something, someway of helping and making a difference. If you're anything like me you'll discover that the biggest difference you've made is in your own life.

**

No comments: